The month of December started out a little rocky for our family... It was filled with sickness, a new found allergy to penicillin for Ryker and a couple of missed Christmas parties.
Ryker began the month with a fever and the barfs. That was followed up by me getting sick (had to miss my Olsen family Christmas party) and round 2, 3 and 4 of Ryker's illness (had to miss Ryan's work Christmas party). He had a fever, was throwing up and was just overall sluggish (which is how I tell if Ryker is really sick and as it turns out, he was REALLY sick). We pretty much did nothing but sit on the couch and watch TV for 4 days. I figured he had the flu and that was confirmed with a visit to the doctor, but with an added bonus of an ear infection. We were sent home with a prescription for Amoxicillin, which after a dose or two caused Ryker to break out with hives and a rash all over his body. Me, being the kind and sensitive mom I am; didn't really believe him at first when he kept telling me he was itchy all over. I just kept telling him not to itch and he was fine, but upon further investigation I realized he was having some kind of allergic reaction. With some help from my pharmacist sister in law, we figured out what was going on, gave him a little Benadryl, got the doctor to change his prescription and got him on the mend!
Here's my poor, little sick boy. I hate it when he's sick, but I sure do love how cuddly he is when he's not feeling well.
The whole time Ryker was sick the only thing he was worried about was playing basketball. He was concerned that his team wouldn't be able to play without him. This was his first season of Jr. Jazz and to say that he loved it would be an understatement. Everyone knows Ryker is obsessed with sports, but basketball has taken that to a whole new level...
Watching Jr. Jazz was quite the experience for me... I almost couldn't handle it sometimes.
5 year olds playing basketball = CHAOS
It's especially frustrating when your kid is the only that knows what is going on in the game and the rest of kids are jumping all over him to get the ball and the ref does nothing. Or when the other kids are running cross court carrying the ball and yet again the ref calls nothing. Now, I'm not saying the ref should call everything, but at least try to teach them the simple rules of the game. I could rant about this for hours, but I won't bore you all with that...
Nice defense, Ryker. That might be foul, turns out, what do I know? No harm, no foul.
Ryker is the one in the corner with the ball. He liked to make baskets, sometimes we had to remind him to pass.
I was so proud of how well Ryker played. He was by far the best player (not to brag, OK I'm bragging, but isn't that what blogs are for? Bragging about how amazing our kids are?) He scored lots of points, played great defense, and had lots of fun!!
After Ryker finally got better, we were able to salvage some of the holiday season and stay healthy until Christmas when Ryan came down with a nasty bug, but I'm happy to announce that we are now all healthy, happy and eagerly awaiting the new year!
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!
Christmas pictures coming soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment