Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Resolutions

Well, we're a week into 2009 so I decided it's time to write down my New Year's Resolutions. There are so many things I'd like to improve on.... Where to begin?? I can think of about a million things I'd like to improve on, but the majority of them are things that I'll never be able to change so why bother?!! So here are a few things that I'm going to try to improve this year... We'll see how it goes!

1. Spend my money more wisely. I am a HUGE fan of shopping and it has become a major addiction for me, especially over the last 2-3 years. There is something about a new pair of shoes or a new outfit that just makes life seem a little bit better. I think my wardrobe has quadrupled in size over the last 2 years. I'm not saying that I'm going to quit shopping all together, I'm just going to try to cut back a little and not spend money on stupid things. I can't leave Target without dropping at least $100 on stupid stuff that I just don't need!
2. Enjoy the journey!! Needless to say, my life hasn't turned out at all like I planned, but my goal for this year is to not focus on what I don't have, but what I DO have. I get so caught up on how hard and frustrating life can be that I forget to enjoy the life I have. I'm not going to worry so much about work, keeping the house clean, and all that "grown up stuff" and make more time to make memories with Ryker, my family, and my friends. I'd also like to focus more on the MOMENTS instead of worrying so much about the future.
3. Get back in shape. I use to really enjoy running and working out, but just haven't had the time (or the motivation) to do it! This year I'm going to run more and do more physical activities. So far, a week into the year, this is the only goal I am succeeding in!! Some friends and I joined a basketball league and I'm happy to announce we won our first game last night! :) I also went cross country skiing the other day and actually went running a few times last week. Hopefully, this will all last more than a week!!
4. Be a better friend. I don't feel like I've really been there for my friends or family over the last couple of years. I've been so focused on my life and trying not to let it completely fall apart that I've forgotten what it means to be a true friend. I've really been a slacker with maintaining friendships and am always making plans to do stuff with friends, but then never do it! Not this year... Watch out, friends, we're all going to party it up this year!!!
5. Be a better mom. I have really struggled as a mom this past year. My patience level with Ryker is running near empty. I am hoping this year I can regain some patience and spend more time enjoying Ryker and enjoying the little moments of his childhood before they are gone. I feel like so much of my time with Ryker is spent dragging him from place to place and fighting with him to get dressed or get to bed, etc. that we don't enjoy each other's company like we should. I hope this year we can spend more time doing fun things and that I can be more patient with him.
6. Get back to the basics of the gospel. I am a firm believer in the gospel and have a strong testimony that it's all true, but I have really struggled with the basics, praying, reading scriptures, and attending church. I rarely read my scriptures and sometimes even forget to say my daily prayers. My church attendance hasn't been the greatest lately, due to a certain 3 year old's behavior (and football season), and it's hard to feel like I have a place in the gospel, a single mom in a church that revolves around family is really hard to deal with.
7. Get my life back together and get it figured out!!! What more can I say about this?? I just want to get it together!! I'm not sure if it's being a single mom or just getting older and having more responsibilities, but I feel like somewhere along the way things have fallen apart. My life is never going to be what it was before Nate died, but I'm hoping that one day I will have it together and feel like I'm in control again. I know that I can't control everything and that I'm never going to have it ALL together, but I'm hoping with a little luck and a lot of hard work I'll manage to be more on top of things and that I can figure out where and what to do next with my life!!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

that was such a good post, you have some great goals for the new year, maybe I should do that too! Ya and I'm so out of shape from the game last night that i'm sick today and didnt go to work! does playing basketball when you haven't played forever make you throw up?! anyway I don't think thats really why, but its kinda funny it happened last night after the game!

Jason said...

Those are some great goals!!! I just dont know if #1 will be all that easy for you..... :)

Chelsey said...

Wow Melissa great goals can I just say dito and take your resolutions as my own, especially the mom thing. I am glad to hear that you also feel like you don't stop to enjoy Ryker because at the end of most days I seem to ask myself...hum what did I do for Logan today,not a whole lot,she kinda just played. It is so hard to be a mom and I can't imagine being a working single mom...you I am sure do an amazing job!

Becker Family said...

Don't get too hard on yourself. You really are doing a great job! I can't imagine being in your shoes and trying to pick up the pieces of a life that wasn't exactly what you thought it would be. Those are some awesome goals, but give yourself some credit too! You are an amazing person.

Nicole said...

Good resolutions. At least you "officially" made some res's. If they're on your blog then they're pretty dang official! I didn't really even make any. My goals are usually the same every year so I guess I automatically know them.
I'm sad that I didn't even get to see you once during the month that I was home!! What kind of friends are we anyway??

Morris Five said...

Wow look at you go with those goals!! I am impressed. Goals are hard for me to set b/c then that means I might actually have to accomplish something. Or if I did make goals they would look something like this: Don't kill the kids today. Don't kill the dog today. Clean the bathroom at least once a week since the boys don't know how to aim!!! I really do think you are doing a great job so don't be too hard on yourself.

Kym said...

Oh man I wish you luck on keeping all those resolutions. I have to only work on one at a time, otherwise I get too overwhelmed and just give in. But what am I talking about at least you wrote some down, I didnt even do that this year. I agree with everyone else, you are doing great. Quit beeing so stinkin hard on yourself and start focusing on what you do that's good. I'll bet you'll find just as many good things as you do things you would like to change :)